CMI is seeking an experienced meeting planner to provide logistical planning and support for its 24 Oncology State Society clients. The Meeting Planner will lead the planning for a portfolio of around 12 state societies, managing an average of 30 events per year – from multi-day conferences to receptions, dinner symposia and board functions.
The ideal candidate should be able to adapt to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment, be organized; have proactive and positive communication skills; customer-service minded approach to work; maintain a high level of professionalism and responsiveness internally and externally; and a keen attention to detail.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Negotiate meeting-related contracts with facilities and suppliers.
- Coordinate all assigned meetings from start to finish, including hotel contracts, vendor contracts, speaker management, travel management, rooming lists, event orders, on-site staffing, budget management, and processing invoices and expense reports.
- Organize pre-, on-site, and post-meeting activities including speaker arrangements, confirmations, handouts, badges, catering, room set-up, audio visual equipment and any special requirements.
- Provide on-site assistance to members, speakers, vendors, sponsors, and others.
- Review invoices, expense reports, and meeting materials for accuracy.
- Communicate regular updates within the department, across staff teams, and to external clients.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 7-10 years of conference and event planning experience in the nonprofit community, with either an association or an association management company.
- Certified Meeting Planner (CMP) preferred.
- Strong project management skills; exceptional organizational skills and ability to work independently.
- Familiarity with best business practices and trends in the hospitality and meeting planning industry.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of hotel, convention center, and vendor contract agreements.
- Ability to handle high-volume, production-based work environment, effectively managing deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, specifically in Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel required. Database experience helpful. Ability to learn new technology as required.
- Ability to prepare, justify and maintain meeting and event budgets.
- Problem-solving skills with the ability to make sound, prudent decisions.
- Ability to meet deadlines of assigned deliverables.
- Overnight and weekend travel is an essential function of this position; travel to on-site locations is estimated at 5-10%.